STEM toys are great educational toolkits for kids and adults alike to learn the fundamentals of science, technology, engineering and math. Through fun and interactive challenges, projects and builds, you can develop valuable skills such as coding, design and more. However, whilst a lot of STEM toys are certainly cutting edge, this can come at a price due to technology that is expensive to develop. Luckily, Black Friday falls just before Christmas, so is a perfect time to pick up STEM toys at a discount! Read on for our Black Friday STEM toy deal list for 2018.
Anki Cozmo Robot
3 used from $135.31
- Cozmo is a real-life robot like you've only seen in the movies and he's ready to be your loyal sidekick
- Challenge Cozmo to games or use Explorer Mode to see things from his perspective
- With a beginner-friendly interface, Cozmo is the perfect educational robot for kids and adults to learn to creatively code
- Easier than you'd think and tougher than he looks, this toy robot is tested for durability and security
The cozmo robot from Anki is a house favorite here at STEM Toy Expert and the top pick on our Black Friday STEM toy list. This awesome little guy is designed to teach kid the basics of coding. There are two different options for doing this, a drag and drop interface and text-based coding with the Cozmo SDK for more advanced stuff. For younger kids, there are also lots of fun games and other ways to interact with Cozmo. The downside here compared with the other two is there is no physical building involved.
We’ve seen some good Cozmo Black Friday deals since the little robot came out a couple years ago. Both years in a row Cozmo has been discounted around 30% on Black Friday, so we are expecting the same for 2018. There are also some limited edition models in blue and black, but we are unsure what Black Friday Cozmo robot deals will be available on these.
Anki Vector Robot
- More than a home robot, Vector is a companion made to help out and hang out.
- Powered by AI and advanced robotics, he's alive with personality and engaged by sight, sound, and touch.
- Curious and attentive, he's voice-activated and will answer questions, take photos for you, time dinner, show you the weather, and more. Vector voice features are currently English language only.
- Vector can independently navigate and self-charge. He recognizes people and avoids obstacles.
Ever since the release of Cozmo, things went a bit quiet on the Anki front. Not anymore though! The new Vector robot from Anki was released this fall and the little guy was definitely worth the wait. Although he may appear similar to Cozmo in terms of the way he looks from the outside, he features massively upgraded hardware which will really increase it’s potential. This includes a 4x faster processor and WIFI connectivity for onboard computing! No more companion device needed.
But all these upgrades do come at a cost, and Vector certainly has a premium price tag. Especially when you consider that the SDK for creating custom software is only out in Beta sometime during the New Year! That said, if there were some Vector Robot Black Friday deals from Anki it would become that little more affordable. Due to how new it is, we are unable to make any solid predictions, but given that Cozmo was discounted on Black Friday just after its release 2 years ago, we have our fingers crossed for Vector.
- Who doesn't love robots? Introduce kids to the creative world of coding with the best educational STEM toys to foster their curiosities. Building, learning, and programming robots has never been more fun!
- Includes 847 LEGO pieces that kids can build and rebuild into 5 cool multifunctional models. The best and most popular robotics toys for 7-12 year old boys and girls who love to tinker and learn about science. Use the latest tech like color, distance and tilt sensors.
Lego Boost is a popular kit from Lego for kids and young teens to learn basic coding, robotics and design. This multi award winning set is one of our top STEM toys to watch this Black Friday. The kit was released mid-summer last year, but there were no Lego Boost Black Friday discounts due to how new it was. Another year on, we are hoping Lego will put out some offers on this fantastic educational robotics kit. We’ll be tracking Lego Boost Black Friday deals and updating this page with anything we find!
- Builders of all ages will love building and coding their fully-functional robot to walk, talk, and even play games or complete tasks! This educational STEM robot toy makes engineering fun for everyone who builds it.
- LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 is built with 601 pieces and includes the intelligent EV3 Brick, 3 servo motors, plus color, touch and IR sensors. Connect with your smart device and download the free EV3 programmer app to control the robot!
Similar to Boost, Mindstorms is another educational robotics kit from Lego. However, it is targeted at an older age group and features more complex and fiddly components. The coding aspect is also stepped up a notch, as with Boost it is done with a graphical drag and drop interface, but Mindstorms also offers text-based coding for more complex programs. This allows you to build more advanced machines and contraptions, for example one user built a functioning lifesize BB8!
This STEM toy has been out for many years now, but Lego have been reluctant to put out Black Friday deals on Mindstorms as far as we can see. Despite offer significant discounts in the infamous ‘Brick Friday’. Will 2018 be any different? Too early to say, but we’ll be updating this page with any Lego Mindstorms Black Friday deal news on this awesome STEM toy.
Snap Circuits is a super popular kit from Elenco designed to teach kids all about electronics and circuitry. The electronics components are all modular, with no soldering required. All kids have to do is snap them into the place on the circuit board base to create awesome working circuits, with guides included in the set for tons of projects.
We love this kit and are predicting Black Friday Snap Circuits deals are a good possibility. There are lots of sets in the range, so we think it’s likely that at least some will be discounted. On the entry-level Jr. SC-100 kit past sales suggests there could be 40% Snap Circuits Black Friday or Cyber Monday discounts. Similarly, we think there could be around 30% off on the SC-300 kit and up to 40% off on the premium SC-750.
Kano Computer Kit
- Step-by-step build your own powerful laptop, a simple storybook shows you how. Look inside, plug the parts, bring it to life. Learn about HDMI, sound, pixels and processors.
- All in one box. 10.1'" HD screen, Raspberry Pi 3, battery, DIY speaker, wireless keyboard, case and stand, memory, 3 USB ports, HDMI and power cables, sound sensor, stickers, Kano's operating system, apps, and exclusive coding challenges.
Kano are one of the most popular makers of build your own computer kits for kids. Similar to Snap Circuits, the parts are modular and so do not require soldering when putting together the kit. The assembly is guided through an illustrated manual and is relatively easy due to the snap-together nature of the parts. Next, kids can get an introduction to the world of coding through building their own software via interactive projects and challenges.
The company have already confirmed that around 33% will be taken off the Kano computer kit on Black Friday, but we are unsure of whether the same discounts will be available on Cyber Monday yet. There is also the possibility that stocks could sell out, so we’d advise going for Kano Computer Kit discounts on Black Friday to avoid disappointment.
STEM Toy Black Friday Summary
That concludes our Black Friday STEM Toy list for this year. There are some great options out there for developing a whole load of STEM skills. We’ll be sure to post any deals we find right here too, so return for the latest updates!